Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 6 months ago

Does this sound like IBS?

I don’t want to spend money on a specialist if I don’t have to, I know this isn’t very reliable but anyway, here it goes: I’m always constipated. To the point where I’m backed up for days. And when I do “go”, it’s usually diarrhea. This causes me daily pain, cramps, and acid reflux. Being so backed up also makes me throw up, a lot. I throw up at least once a day, I’m really lucky if I don’t. This is going on 2 years now. I’m a teenager.

Favorite Answer

Yes, it does.

But it also describes many other conditions which are treatable.

IBS is not something anyone can self-diagnose. It has been justifiably been described as a “diagnosis of despair”. That means after all other tests, no causes have been found which can be diagnosed. And that is why IBS is a “syndrome”: it is a collection of different symptoms which have no obvious cause. It’s not often to find two properly diagnosed IBS sufferers who have exactly the same set of symptoms.

I’ve had IBS for about 35 years, but it took over 10 years before I was finally diagnosed. It took me longer to work out what triggers my IBS and how to mostly prevent it.

Sorry, but if you want to find out exactly what you have then it has to be through a doctor.

If you can’t do that then try this: after a bloating/constipation/diarrhoea cycle don’t eat for 48 hours. That gives your intestine and colon time to recover. Fast for 24 hrs one day per week afterwards to keep giving your colon a brief rest