Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 7 months ago

Alternatives to getting an apartment with no proof of income?

I am a student moving out of residence soon and I am going to begin looking for an apartment.

Problem is, I don't have a job lined up yet as I am doing a certification course and need to focus on that full time.

I have about 2 years of expenses saved up (though the course is only 6 months, after which I will being looking for work) and I have excellent credit.

How can I go about getting an apartment with no proof of income?

Would landlords be ok with a few months rent upfront?

How about a year worth of post dated cheques up front cashable a week before the rent is due?

Never done this before, not sure how it works.

3 Answers

  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    Most landlords will not even consider you without a source of income unless you can get a co-signer with good credit and enough income to take care of their financial responsibilities and yours to the landlord. On the rare occasion you might find a landlord willing to rent to you if you pay for the entire year upfront, but it is rare because there is a lot of risk in doing so to the landlord.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

    Most landlords are not gong to rent to you with no job. Money in the bank is good but you cannot typically qualify with just that. Many landlords will not take prepaid rent either. All you can do is contact places until you find someone willing to work with you.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

    Talk to your college. They should have an accommodation list of places which will accept students.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.