Why is first dv case a felony?

So my brother and his gf got in an argument. My brother threw a deodorant at her. It didn t hit her. She went outside and my brother broke a closet door and put 2 holes in the wall. Her and her kids were outside when this happened. How is this dv? She and the kids were outside? Has anyone been through this?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • `
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Your brother broke a closet door and punched two holes in the wall. It doesn't matter whether the girlfriend and kids were outside. Your brother has anger management issues.

• Login to reply the answers
  • martin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Even though there weren't any black and blue marks from this episode, throwing something is an assault even if it doesn't make contact, the argument may be verbal violence depending on what was said, and breaking stuff while she was outside with the kids was emotional trauma either immediately or later on when they saw the breakage which was the result of his violent temper. Even though it's indirect, it's enough for most courts or police to call it domestic violence because they like to nip things in the bud and not require actual injury to someone before charging the angry person. However, it probably should be reduced to a misdemeanor.

• 6 months ago

You're kidding, right? Just because a bullet misses you doesn't mean that the person didn't try to kill you. Your brother has a severe anger management problem. Getting charged may mean that he'll take it seriously enough to get help or that he'll be sentenced to anger management classes. It may prevent him from being charged with murder some day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.