Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 months ago

Is it strange to go to church if you don't believe in a god?

I want to go to be around nice people but I don't actually believe in any god or care to talk/hear about one. I have gone before and tuned out the yelling guy talking about his god, just so I could get out of the house and be around people who are really nice. Nobody knows I'm atheist just because I don't want them going out of their way to force their beliefs on me.

Church can be a rewarding social environment if you ignore thy hipocacy. Keep in mind that many of the people sitting in those pews don't believe in much of anything either. They just grew up with a belief they never questioned.

Oh if those folks in the congregation at your church are true born again/Spirit -filled Christians, they will KNOW of a certainty that you are not saved and not a Christian but an unbeliever for sure - believe me, they will not be in any doubt about that!

Yes, it is kinda strange.I'm sure you can find another club of interest

Sounds weird. Must be atheist places.

All are welcome in the house of God, and those who do not believe are the most wanted so they can see the truth for themselves.

As for the claim of brainwashing, I do not accept anything just because I am told. If I did I would be a evolutionists since I got that shoved on me all day every day in school, and only got God few a couple of hours on Sundays. I believe in God, because I see the proof that the rejecters do not want to see..

• Jea

You will be surrounded by your peers. Half those there are as you are, there mostly for self-preservation. And those will be the nice people, they've no ax to grind like the rest.

I guess enjoy your stay. It's not too surprising since some churches are an absolute blast to go to. Nice people, live music, scripture reading, commentary, good food and coffee, I'd still go even if I weren't religious.

I'm sure Christians will welcome you with open arms...

And their best brainwashing sponges.

• I visit lots of churches and temples to learn about other beliefs.

Strange and silly since there are other, more meaningful places to go to be around nice people.