Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

Should I speak up and if yes what should I say about this person who uninvited us?

In my community we always get discounted tickets to go many places. I was asked if me and my family would like to go to 6 Flags this weekend for $20. I told her that I wasn't sure if me and my youngest son would go but hold on i'll let you know if my oldest son would like to go (he's old enough to go by himself)

On Monday, I contact her on facebook that My son would like to go. She told me there are no more seats. I just said "alright" instead of carrying on.

On Friday night, I was sitting in the court yard and a neighbor/aquaintence asked me if i'm going to 6 Flags. She said Sarah (fake name) asked her if she'd like to go and invite others because she has 11 tickets left.

I told this acquaintance that I was told there were no more seats.

I was plenty angry about this. I know Sarah doesn't know I know what's going on but I don't want her to be fake with me saying hello etc... By the way, I checked for some picture on facebook from another who went. Her boys were sitting together but she was sitting by herself and took a picture so there were seats on the bus.

What should I say to her?

Sarah had asked this other neighbor on Friday if she'd like to go. She told me on Monday there were no seats so I know she's lying.

• G R

When you asked her to hold on to a couple tickets so you could check with your son, did she acknowledge you and say she would or did you assume that she would wait? Its possible she didn't hear you or miss heard you. She might have cast a net to see who wanted to go and first come first serve got them.

Do you know how many tickets she had total? Its possible that at the time you asked for the tickets there weren't any available, people change their minds all of the time. There might have been seats on the bus, but that doesn't mean there were as many tickets as there were bus seats.

As awkward as it might be, if i were you, i would bring the situation up, you can do it in a nice but curious way. No point in walking around and burning up a bunch of time and energy being mad and harboring resentment if you don't what the whole story is.

• G R

Ramona, i'd probably a bit pissed too, but what are you going to do. She could have reached out to you, BUT she didn't have to. You could have followed up again too, right. It wouldn't burn a bridge to ask her why she didn't let you know and let her know you know about her offerings of the ticket

• Foofa

She offered, you stalled, she made other arrangements for her generosity. She doesn't owe you anything and the world can't always wait while you make up your mind.

• Ramona

That money belongs to the community and is given to the community not out of her pockets. The fact that I live there, the community budget belongs to me and everyone who lives there. I don't care if the seats were taken, the point is she lied saying there was none left when there was.

• GEEGEE

I wouldn't say anything. Impossible to know what happened. Perhaps a group originally said yes, and then cancelled at the last minute, so new seats opened up. It would have been nice if you were notified of the available seats, but, again, we don't know what happened. In the future I suppose you could tell Sarah that if tickets become available, to call or text you.

Nothing. Things will get awkward if you do.

• edward

Happened to my parents where they were supposed to go somewhere until last minute a bunch of people cancelled so they couldn’t go when the message was misunderstood the night before the trip a bunch of people called and cancelled. If i had know before that everyone was going to cancel i would’ve gone with all my friends that time. Yeah, there were like 14 seats available of a group of 20 but it was full 3 hours ago

• Ramona

I thought of that as well but then I thought, why didn't she contact me to let me know that seats had opened up and that my son could go? She had at least the day before to tell me this.

• g

Say nothing. It could be that others cancelled or didn't show last minute - there's no way to know, and nothing to be gained by confronting her.

• `

You misunderstood what she was telling you. She said "there are no more seats." What she was trying to tell you is that she didn't have anymore tickets. Meaning there may be some people who still have tickets to give.

Don't bother talking to her. Next time, take the tickets when offered. You can always give other people a chance to go if it doesn't work out.

• Ramona

She said she had no more tickets and no seats when she told another person she had 11 left.

i wouldnt say anything to her, i probably wouldnt bother wanting to talk to her again

• drip

Sarah (fake name) I heard Friday night you had 11 tickets left I thought they were all gone! I would like one for my oldest son thanks,