Struggling to run the orchestra and get nowhere when asking for advice. Help!!?

I run a community based volunteer orchestra which has been together now for close to a year and a half. We are struggling for members in a town full of both student and adult musicians who play for fun. However, getting them to come to a rehearsal (for free, mind you) seems impossible. When I speak to one of... show more I run a community based volunteer orchestra which has been together now for close to a year and a half.

We are struggling for members in a town full of both student and adult musicians who play for fun. However, getting them to come to a rehearsal (for free, mind you) seems impossible.

When I speak to one of our officers in the band, he just says, "I know you want pie in the sky with a large group. But, you have to understand it's going to take time."
No response from him to suggestions of how to actually be proactive in recruiting musicians, except for what I mentioned above.

It is very frustrating and I don't receive any help. I'm the Conductor, which I love. But I'm not a recruiter, marketing director for concerts, salesperson and copy machine of music all rolled into one. How can I seek real help and advice on this? (Other than just "pie in the sky, fella...")