Helix piercing bled after changing?

Alright, so I got my helix pierced about 5 months ago. I decided I wanted to try out a different stud to see if it d be more comfortable than my current one. This was the first time I took out the earring since getting pierced, and once I saw there was some blood pooling at the hole, I put the original piercing back in and sprayed the area with some H2Ocean spray. I admittedly knew it was too early to be changing, but after reading up on so many others changing before being completely healed, I assumed it would ve been okay. My baseline question is, WILL my piercing be okay, after noticing that blood? Have I permanently damaged it and prevented it from healing completely, or will I just have to experience a longer healing period as consequence?

• Laura
    Favorite Answer

Its never ok to change the jewelry in a Piercing that isn't fully healed. The stores you read or heard about all leave out the Part about infection and scaring.

You will need to care for your Piercing for at least another 4 months, if not longer. Trying to change the jewelry in a Piercing too early is like ripping off a scab. You cause damage to the skin when you rip off a scab which makes it take longer to heal. Because of this it will take longer for this piercing to heal.

You should be using the h2ocean along with sterile gauze pads to soak the piercing twice a day. If you aren't doing that, start. Saturate a gauze pad with the spray, then hold it on the front and back of the piercing for 5 - 10 mins. After soaking use the same gauze pad to gently remove any softened discharge or dried blood.

I would care for this piercing for at least another 4 months. Give your body the time it needs to fully heal. Be patient.

To answer your questions; yes your Pickering will be okay and it is unlikely that you have damaged it. As you did remove the jewellery and reinsert it, clean it like it was a fresh piercing for the next week or so. If you still want to change it out, you can but it may be a good idea to have the piercing shop do it.

5 months is still pretty early for a helix piercing. Most take 6-12 months to fully heal. As long as you keep it clean, and it doesn't get infected, you should be fine.

Just try to touch it as little as possible, and even if it doesn't hurt, try not to sleep on it.