Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 6 months ago

Why do students struggle more than me?

So I just got accepted into a really good University and although I do have to take out a few loans they’re still not that much and my financial aid package is pretty good. My parents are not wealthy at all which is why my financial aid package is good and I also have some scholarships that help as well. What I’m wondering is why do I constantly hear stories of students struggling with food insecurity? Who can’t find a way to feed themselves. Life just seems too good for me. I don’t understand why others struggle more than me. What makes me so special? I feel like I don’t deserve everything I have.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Stella
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You're just starting college.

You don't know what the future holds.

Don't assume that you're somehow immune to problems simply because they haven't happened yet.

• Login to reply the answers
  • di
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

There are students who receive their financial aid refunds and immediately pre-pay their rent & every other bill they can. Those bills they cannot pre-pay have the average amount deposited in a savings account that id NOT connected to their debit card. They go buy non-perishable food they can stretch out for the semester.

Then there are students who get their financial aid refund checks and cannot control themselves - they buy stuff and eat out until their money is gone - and then proceed to fill out requests at the local food bank and complain about not having enough food. These are students who could not plan their way out of a paper bag - try to not end up on project teams with them!

Lastly, there are students who forgo the student loans which usually fund those financial aid refunds. These students usually have part time jobs or commute from home.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Students who are not on a meal plan at the school but rather are living off-campus may have a lot of trouble paying for food. Good universities offer financial aid packages that include room and board, Students at those schools usually live on campus and are on a meal plan.

• 6 months ago

It's your aversion to proper sentence structure and punctuation that makes you special.

How do students not have enough money to buy food and necessities:

financial aid is based on the parents income assets to age 24.

- some parents won't provide FASFA information, so their child is ineligible for financial aid

- some parents won't provide a dime for their children's college costs, although financial aid is based on the parent's contribution; or due to the parent's income the child isn't eligible for any financial aid.

- some students are apprehensive about taking loans. Thus, any financial aid that is loan based is "lost"

- some students simply don't get enough financial aid to cover - tuition, books & extra costs, housing etc.

corrected note:

delete "so" you aren't talking

change "just got" to "I've been" or I have been

change "into" to "to"

change "really good" to "good" (or "great)

university should not be capitalized

insert period after university.

remove "and although" (missing commons, if you had kept it)

change "I have to" to "I plan to"

remove "few", we got it with plural of "loans"

change "they're still not that much" to "they won't be excessive".

insert period

change "and my financial aid package is pretty good" to "my overall financial aid package is good" (assumes you received grants or other things funds because loans only sucks)

WOO HOO you have a period in the right place.

remove "at all"

insert period after "and"

change "I also have some scholarships" to "I received some scholarships"

remove "that help"

insert comma

remove what (you are writing, not talking)

change "I'm wonderin gis why do I constantly hear" to "I'm wondering why I hear"

change question mark to a comma.

change period after themselves to a question mark.

remove "just"

And finally we have no more errors. Thank goodness.

I've been accepted to a good university. I plan to take out loans. They won't be excessive. My overall financial aid package is good. My parents are not wealthy, which is why my financial aid package is good. I received some scholarships, as well. I'm wondering why I hear storied of students struggling with food insecurity. Who can’t find a way to feed themselves? Life seems too good for me. I don’t understand why others struggle more than me. What makes me so special? I feel like I don’t deserve everything I have.

• ...Show all comments
    • A Hunch
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I've corrected all your errors. UCLA? Is that the only UC, you were accepted at? Have you decided your grad school plans yet? Isn't that the only option for UCLA alum? Instead of UCSB / UCSD - an employer's "dream" = smart, personable, & great time management skills, if you graduate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Some people are just more lucky than others. There's not necessarily a reason for it-- that's just how things work. Some people are born lucky.

Life gives us a lot, and we deal with it the best we can. Often times it's not a matter of people getting what they deserve-- it's just chance.

If you feel you have more than others (and that you have something to give), then do what you can to help.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

If life was special, you wouldn't have scholarships.

Lv 7
    6 months ago

That can happen when you're not on the school meal plan and have to purchase your own food at a grocery store.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.