Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 months ago

"You and I ought to just keep our distance": offensive?

At the gym I go to, I know most of the regulars and at least acknowledge them. Some of them and I have very short conversations when coming to or leaving the gym, or in the locker room.

I started talking to one regular on my way in, and he clasped his arms in front of his chest and looked away, and then said, "You and I ought to just keep our distance."

How would you respond to that? Offensive, yes?

• Foofa

You should have said, "I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe if we talked things through I could convince you I'm a nice person".

He doesn't want a friend, doesn't want to chit chat. It was a little rude I guess but how else can he put it? Everyone doesn't have to be friends.

• g

It was a thinly veiled request to which I would respond by keeping my distance. It's not rocket science.

it sounds very offensive to me, i would just ignore that person and avoid talking to them in the future

• .

Sounds like there's more to this story.

sounds rude, i probably wouldnt want to talk to that person again

Unless you like being annoying to someone else then don't continue to talk to him. Whether or not how he said it is "offensive" doesn't seem to matter.

How would you phrase the unseemly thought "I wish you'd just not talk to me"? Is there a way? I think most people would take offense to it no matter how it was said.

More curious than offensive. I would probably ask "Really? You think so? Why? Did I piss you off somehow?"