Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 months ago

"You and I ought to just keep our distance": offensive?

At the gym I go to, I know most of the regulars and at least acknowledge them. Some of them and I have very short conversations when coming to or leaving the gym, or in the locker room.

I started talking to one regular on my way in, and he clasped his arms in front of his chest and looked away, and then said, "You and I ought to just keep our distance."

How would you respond to that? Offensive, yes?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You should have said, "I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe if we talked things through I could convince you I'm a nice person".

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

He doesn't want a friend, doesn't want to chit chat. It was a little rude I guess but how else can he put it? Everyone doesn't have to be friends.

• g
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It was a thinly veiled request to which I would respond by keeping my distance. It's not rocket science.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

it sounds very offensive to me, i would just ignore that person and avoid talking to them in the future

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Sounds like there's more to this story.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

sounds rude, i probably wouldnt want to talk to that person again

• 7 months ago

Unless you like being annoying to someone else then don't continue to talk to him. Whether or not how he said it is "offensive" doesn't seem to matter.

How would you phrase the unseemly thought "I wish you'd just not talk to me"? Is there a way? I think most people would take offense to it no matter how it was said.

• 7 months ago

More curious than offensive. I would probably ask "Really? You think so? Why? Did I piss you off somehow?"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.