Where do I stand?

So I rented this room in someone's house. The landlord/person I rented from does not live in the house, but she can come in at any time or so she says. Is she right? She's the landlord, but she has no residency. She brought her family over to the house. She says that she can bring whomever she wants. I am renting a room, but I have access to the whole house, except for the other rooms, of course. I want to leave now that she has said these things. Plus, her mom, who does the cleaning once a week, has told me to wash the dishes as soon as I'm finished. Honestly, I am trying to leave.

She doesn't live at the home at all. She has her own home somewhere else. She doesn't live there at all. She told me so. Since she doesn't "live" at the home where I'm renting a room. She had no real reason to even bring her family over. No one initially wanted to meet them, it's just the human-mindedness of not denying them to introduce themselves. She crossed a boundary and will keep doing it. We have an expectation of privacy throughout the house.

Favorite Answer

I think it's unfair you should have to wash your own dishes.

If you rent a room, then yes, she only needs to give notice to enter the room, not the house.

Yes. When you rent a room your only expectation of privacy is only in the room you are renting. Your ability to access other common areas doesn't prevent the owner, agents of the landlord, or other tenants from doing the same. The landlord can't just walk into your room without giving you proper notice but can access the rest of the property any time they desire.

Assuming you don't have a lease you can move out (in most states) by giving at least a months notice to vacate. If you signed a lease, get comfy unless you can afford to pay rent there and somewhere else at the same time.

this is one for the courts, landlord can make the case that she is a part time resident of the home and therefore can come and go as she pleases, except for your room (in some states, in other states the owner still has full access to the room).

If the owner didn't 'live' in the home at all, all tenants would be entitled to notice if required by state law and the LL would need a reason.

I knew someone that had 2 residences. (although she didn't rent any rooms out). They were 10 minutes apart. One was her child hood home and the other her adult home...she would go to her child hood home during the day...and come to the other to sleep. She legally lived at the one she slept at.

the home doesn't have to be the legal primary residence of the landlord to give them 'residency'

just because she doesn't LIVE there, doesn't preclude her from using it as a day place and retain use of...if that is what you were told is the arrangement, then she has the right..

what do you think, you get to just pay for the room, but get the whole house to yourself