Help with checking my answers?

First question is, “Suppose that we have a container of 500 grams of water to which we apply 2000 calories of heat energy (assume no other sources or sinks of heat). The specific heat of water is 1 calorie per gram per Celsius degree. Assume the water has an initial temperature of 10oC. What will the temperature... show more First question is, “Suppose that we have a container of 500 grams of water to which we apply 2000 calories of heat energy (assume no other sources or sinks of heat). The specific heat of water is 1 calorie per gram per Celsius degree. Assume the water has an initial temperature of 10oC. What will the temperature be after the heat energy is applied?” I think I misinterpreted how to do the problem, but I got 40 degrees Celsius. That doesn’t feel right to me.
Second one, “We have a container of 500 grams of sand to which we apply 2000 calories of heat energy (assume no other sources or sinks of heat). The specific heat of sand is 0.188 calories per gram per Celsius degree. Assume the sand has an initial temperature of 10oC. What will the temperature be after the heat energy is applied?” When I did this problem the way I think I should’ve done the other, I got a decimal. I think I am confusing myself with these problems and how to complete them. Any help?