Filipe asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

Do you support dog breeders or do you believe in adopting dogs instead of buying?

i like breeders who breed because they love the dog and not the money, and make sure not to breed the mother too much, also are very careful when placing the puppies

i prefer dogs from the shelter, i get bothered by all the goldendoodles everywhere because i know they are purchased from people who don’t know that much about dogs and could’ve easily just gotten a good ol lab or retriever from the shelter

if you like working dogs or really admire a certain breed i think it’s fine to get a dog from a responsible breeder

i wanna throw up on people who get dogs from petland/ puppy mills

Well in the past I have purchased,showed and bred purebred dogs and cats. That is the only reason to purchase one, now I have a rescue dog. I feel a person should purchase a purebred to help better or preserve the breed. I know breeders will sell the get, but hopefully with the intent the buyer will spay or neuter them. To many people who buy animals that are not standard to the breed and have litter after litter destroying the linage that took many years to preserve by breeders who really care and know what they are doing. So many dogs and cats need loving homes from shelters and rescue groups, If only a person will take the time to go look, you won't be disappointed.

I would adopt. ADOPT DON'T SHOP!!! RESCUE DONT SHOP

• Ocimom

I support ethical reputable breeders. I also support adopting dogs. Its the backyard breeders that I do NOT support and never will support.

I only support backyard breeders.

I support good ethical reputable breeders whose dogs never end up in rescue.

I despise byb's and puppy mills are the biggest problem. Without them there would be very few dogs to adopt from shelters and rescues. That is what needs stopping.

I don't support ANY dog breeders.

Well that's a rather blanket statement.

I support dog breeders that are AKC registered AND that do ALL of the following:

- Only breed to the STANDARD for the breed

- Only use Show Quality animals that have shown to at least Champion

- Never breed animals too young

- Do genetic testing to rule out issues that will pass to the pups

- Only have a few breeding animals not loads of them

- Provide health guarantees

That being said, though, my first two dogs were mutt puppies adopted from a shelter and my current dog is a show quality Newfoundland that I adopted privately when was a year old. If I wanted a Newfoundland from puppyhood I'd have no problem buying one from a quality breeder. But I far prefer to give a home to adult dogs and cats. Haven't had a kitten or puppy in YEARS.

i think theyre both good ways to get dogs

I support reputable breeders with every ounce of my being.

I despise BYBers & Puppy Mills. Both need to be banned & violators jailed & cannot have another pet of any kind for the rest of their lives. Most dogs do not have good owners. Sad but so very true. My personal opinion & .02 cents.

• Aged Kiwi

Do you realise that " .02¢" is 1/100th of a cent?
      The normal expression is "my 2¢ worth".