Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 6 months ago

I didn t know I had to work tonight??

Okay, so I work at a restaurant, and they send out front of house and back of house schedules separately. I m mainly a busser, meaning I m listed on the front schedule. Occasionally though, I ll work dishwashing shifts, mainly in doubles (I ll work a shift in the morning and then a separate one in the evening with a few hours between). When I work dishwashing shifts, they normally list it on the front schedule with an annotation.

Not today, apparently. Yesterday I worked a double and it was listed on the front schedule as usual. Today, I worked a typical morning bus shift. That was all that was listed in the front schedule, so I assumed that was the only shift I had to work today, and I made plans. While I was out, I get a phone call from a coworker (my boss is not there in the evenings). "Hey, weren t you supposed to work an evening dish shift tonight?" "Um, no?" "...Are you able to show up?" "I don t think so, sorry."

You should have went in and helped them out. Either they fire you or you get another chance.

rnistakes happen, i wouldve just shown up and be thankful you have a job, wish i did

• Sarah

I don't see a question to answer, but if you hadn't just said you work at a restaurant, I would know you did because I got my first job a month ago at fast food and, while I don't think I've missed a shift yet, I always walk in only to find I don't work for a few hours (or at all that day). I live in a rural area, so it's a 40 minute drive to work. They usually list the times, but if you don't work again until after Saturday, you don't see your schedule and have to guess it. (I had that issue Sunday.) I would talk to my boss about getting a more predictable schedule and try to see why it's always changing.

cont. I had no idea what she was talking about, so I checked my schedule again. Still just my morning shift listed on the front schedule, so I checked the back schedule just in case. Lo and behold, I was listed for an evening dish shift! I had no idea until just then, at that point after my shift was supposed to start! This was the first time anything like this has ever happened, literally every other time I had to work in the back like I said it would be listed in the front schedule. I was already out, I couldn't cancel the plans I was already in the middle of. I tried calling my coworker back and texting her, but I got no response. My workplace has a no call no show no job policy and although this is the first time this has ever happened to me and it was an honest mistake, I'm still petrified that I'm going to get fired. I don't know what to do, I feel so awful...