How to navigate the conversation with my girlfriend that I want her to out extra student loans to help pay for our* off campus housing?

My girlfriend and I share the lease for our apartment in New York. I’m thinking about going to The Philippines to visit international agencies. Should my girlfriend be paying for the apartment with extra student loans?

No, your gf should NOT use any student loan funds to help pay for off-campus housing. Student loans are a very onerous debt burden, and should be limited to essential school expenses. In fact, due to restrictions on student loans, requirements for documentation of income & expenses including documentation from parents, she probably cannot borrow additional funds. Financial aid generally goes through the university financial aid office, and if granted a student loan and/or other financial aid, it's set for the school year by now.

YOU pay for the apartment, you support her. She's a student, and heavily burdened with expenses as it is. Why do you want her to pay? From your post, it appears you want her to borrow money to pay for it, not just "help."

What is this business about going to the Philippines? What does that have to do with anything? Your name is on the lease, you are legally liable for rent whether you are in the apartment or not. All parties on a lease are "jointly & severally liable" for payment of the full amount of the rent. If she does not have the money to pay for her share of off-campus housing, she does not borrow more money. Either you pay, or she can live at home or in dorm.

thats up to her if she wants to do that

• Jolene

I'm confused. In the question you say "help" pay for housing. And in the details you ask if she should be paying for the apartment. Which is it? Do you pay anything towards rent?

• SIR DUFFY6 months agoReport

Yes, 50% right now

No. If you want to stay on the lease, you keep paying rent. It’s not fair of you to expect her to take on debt so she can maintain a bigger apartment than she needs, just so you don’t have to pay rent while you’re off training with ISIS. Seriously, the Philippines.

• Beardog

You’ll need better planning than that, or you’ll find yourself stranded somewhere.

• paul

no you will continue to help pay the rent when you are gone

student loans should be abolished..........

and they can't be used for off campus housing.

• SIR DUFFY6 months agoReport

Yes, they can because student loans cover educational expenses, including living costs. That’s why you get refunds.