Is having a flesch score of 90 bad for general fiction?

I always try to make my writing clear. Is that a bad thing?

Favorite Answer

It's not bad, but it's too simplistic for a general readership. You're effectively dealing with "Basic English" at that level. The idea behind Basic English is that you can communicate effectively in English using 850 base words (nouns, verbs and adjectives) and about 150 "specialist" words for the subject matter.

You should be aiming for about a score of 60 to 70, which would mean a readership who have some 10,000 to 15,000 words in their normal vocabulary, rather than 1000.

• I wasn't allowed to learn a new language. This was their fix. Just ignore me. I'll keep working on vocabulary. I made a 130 on the IQ test in vocab. Not anymore.

Depends entirely on the genre and audience. The Sun newspaper in the UK has a reading age of 8, for example. I'd like to bet Mills and Boon would have a high Flesch score.

I don't know.

I think it's good but I think you could do better