Towelie asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 7 months ago

Why do Feminist expect men to remain loyal their gender roles and responsibilities?

….all while trying to liberate women from their roles and responsibilities.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

I can't speak for all feminists, but I want everyone to do whatever they are individually best suited to doing, as long as all of the major responsibilities are taken care of. As long as someone is feeding the kids, someone is putting out the fires, someone is manufacturing the widgets, and so on, I don't care a bit if the "someone" doing those things is an "innie" or an "outie" (and I ain't referring to belly buttons).

I think individual men bear responsibilities towards children they create, because it takes 2 to tango, and no one should have to bear the entire responsibility for raising a child that someone else helped create, unless they genuinely chose to do so (or the person who helped create the child is dead or something). But that's the only "gender roles and responsibilities" I want to hold men to, and I'd feel about the same about, eg, a lesbian couple who adopted a kid or did IVF together, then split up. Noncustodial parent still has to materially support the kid, barring unusual circumstances.

And to the extent what you're talking about is the case? Keep in mind, feminists are not blank slates, they are products of the cultures they were raised in. Sometimes they retain those unthinking certainties from childhood (you know, things like "Don't hit girls" or "A gentleman always...")

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

We don't. Quite the opposite, feminists encourage both men and women to reject rigid gender roles.

Have you been talking to Mick, Boy Wonder? Your question smacks of that Mickian upside-downness.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The term has been so mangled of late that no one even knows exactly who you're talking about now when you say "feminist". Most "feminists" are more Germaine Greer than they are Megan Rapinoe. But the media loves a loose cannon so that's what's painted as "feminism" these days.

• Jas B
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

What are these gender roles you expect men and women to be loyal to.

Women and men should be able to determine for themselves what their roles and responsibilities are, not adhere to yours, which I suspect come from a time which bears little resemblance to the world we actually live in today.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • liz
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Do they? Feminists are usually against gender roles for everyone. ( Which is why anti-feminists can paint feminists as being heavily pro- LGBT people’s rights). Feminists don’t tend to see what the gender roles for women actually are anymore and they don’t tend to see men as having strict gender roles at all. Hence all the talk about men showing their emotions, the ideal for men to take more paternity leave etc.

I’m not sure what specific gender roles and responsibilities this question refers to but of course different feminists say different things, particularly about dating etiquette and chivalry. Just as anti- feminists can and do, have different views on it. I wouldn’t class these as gender responsibilities. They’re individual matters.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

They don't. They want men to stop following their gender roles and be househusbands.

• 7 months ago

Feminists strictly believe women are not accountable. That tells me they believe they are not to be blamed; to take blame means to take account of what they have done and will do in future; they want no part of that.

There are women out there who believe in taking responsibility but feminists see them as infants who don't know any better so they must speak up for them.

Consider:

https://thoughtcatalog.com/janet-bloomfield/2014/1...

Also consider:

https://thoughtcatalog.com/janet-bloomfield/2015/0...

How dare you mention any of the above; "You don't know what feminism is ....."

• 7 months ago

"Why do Feminist expect men to remain loyal their gender roles and responsibilities ….all while trying to liberate women from their roles and responsibilities.?"

Because that's what modern feminists demand. Equal Rights without equal Responsibilities. Clearly, the simple equality that the original first wave feminists asked for and received is no longer good enough for today's feminists.

Camille Paglia (excommunicated EQUITY feminist) said it best. In her time in the early 1960's, the college dorms had the women check in at 11PM for their safety. She, and the other ethical feminists of that time demanded the same freedom as men under the principle of individual Responsibility, just like the men.

(See the video link in the comments box. This answer would not post with the link in the answer)

That time is long gone now. The equity feminists are shunned, and even referred to as "anti-feminists" by the misandrist gender feminists that have ruled the movement for several decades now. Today's feminists now demand that society take on the responsibility for women's safety, no matter what free choices they make. Of course, they absolutely do not expect to be told to check in for their safety, or follow any other behavioural guidelines so that one’s that are Responsible for them can do a proper job.

That is ridiculous. It would be like giving children full emancipation and the right to behave anyway they choose. But then when their choices get them in trouble, they would blame the adults. This is the insanity of modern feminism. And this is why feminists expect men to remain loyal their gender roles and responsibilities.

• .Jerry.
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Here's the link to the video. Scan to around 2:00 in the video if you're in a rush
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_cUtqgtmOU

• 7 months ago

Obiously you don't know what a feminist is.

Feminist - Any man or woman who believes in equal rights for all regardless of their gender.

• ...Show all comments
    • Foofa
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Thanks, .Jerry., for pointing out that when extremists hijack any word it ruins it for the rest of us. As a woman raising 2 boys and happily married to a good man I cringe at some of what comes out of "modern feminism's" mouth.

• 7 months ago

Feminists want equality until heavy lifting is involved, then it's a "mans job".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.