Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)Other - Soccer · 6 months ago

Am I wrong for training my kid?

So my son is 6 and I asked him what sport he likes playing the most he said “soccer” . So I used to play soccer threw out my school time and the thing I never realized back in the day was that working out at gyms to get legs bigger stronger core muscles and speed was actually a big factor besides raw talent should I train my son to become the best footballer at a young age like this if he wants to ? Or is that unhealthy I just want what’s best for him because if I would’ve have proper training and a right path I believe anyone young can succeed in sports.

Favorite Answer

It is very dangerous and counterproductive for a child to weight train. For now, he can work on skills (speed, agility, ball handling, endurance, and game tactics & strategy. Just as a warning, about 90% of all kids who train to hard and or are pushed to hard by parents burn out before they get out of high school. For a six-yer-old, any sport should be about fun and friends. If he has a passion and talent, you'll have plenty of time to make him into the next superstar.

At six years old, let him play and have fun. Kick the ball around with him as play.... not as serious training. He will let you know IF he has the desire and ability to take it further.

Soccerref

• Kelley

Allow him to play sports for fun only during recess or playtime. You can ask God in your head what He created your son to do in life. Once God shows you, help your son with that in his life.

Skip the weights until he's at least 12 to 16.

For now, just keep it fun and let him develop ball skills (with either a full size "Size 5" thing, or those mini "Size 2" ones the Brazillian kids apparently practice with)... give him hints & tips when needed.

Otherwise he'll probably just get bored with it if you push him too hard.

Your son is too young to be training with weights in my opinion. Just let him play the sport for a season. Watch him to determine what areas he needs improvement in and come up with some drill to improve them. you need to make it fun for him. Don't try to relive your glory days through him. If he is still loving the sport when he is 14 or 15 then you can consider some weight training.