Can you die if you don’t stop drinking alcohol after being diagnosed with acute pancreatitis?

My friends mom was an alcoholic and drank every single day. 6 years ago she was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis from alcohol abuse and was in hospital for nearly 6 months, basically nearly died and had all sorts of surgery as she couldn’t breathe properly either. She now has a stent in her windpipe. She was... show more My friends mom was an alcoholic and drank every single day. 6 years ago she was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis from alcohol abuse and was in hospital for nearly 6 months, basically nearly died and had all sorts of surgery as she couldn’t breathe properly either. She now has a stent in her windpipe.

She was sober for 3 years after that, didn’t have a single drink. Now she is back to drinking a couple times a week at least, sometimes more. Could she die if she carries on with the drink and doesn’t quit completely? Her doctor has said it’s fine for her to drink occasionally but I’m not convinced. Her health is pretty bad, she gets out of breath really quickly and coughs a lot and gets chest pain quite often. She’s only 40 but she looks as though she’s in her 50s at least.

How long would you say she is expected to live if she carries on drinking and doesn’t quit ? Will the pancreatitis come back