Can efficiency landlords charge you to clean and paint a room ...?

Ok so I’ve lived in this efficiency room for 2 1/2 years and they asked for first and last month to move in. Gave my notice that I’m moving and they sent me $300 bill for “room refreshment” cleaning and painting. Are they allowed to charge me for that ? Cleaning and painting is their responsibility... is it ?

NO it is not automatically their responsibility. Dirt is never wear & tear. If you fail to leave the unit in clean & rentable condition they have the right to charge you to clean it. They can only charge you for painting if you did somersetting to cause it to need to be painted.

" They’re are a few stains. I was planning on painting it myself" Stains in the paint are not wear & tear. That is damage that they have every right to charge you for. Do not do it yourself unless they approve it. If you do it but do a poor job then they can still charge you to have ti done correctly.

If there is no "refreshment" clause in your lease, then no, they cannot charge you for painting. Your responsibility is to leave the apartment clean and that's it. Of course, if you caused any damages, then yes, you would be responsible for that. In my area, it is a law that a landlord must paint between tenant's occupancy. Since the landlord is going to paint, maybe fill in any nail holes left on the walls.

You are not responsible for a new paint job for the new tenant.

• Judy

Basic cleaning is yours, Painting is theirs.

Correct. That is "reasonable wear-and-tear" from the PRIOR tenant - NOT your responsibility.

Noooo, don't pay and if they withhold any of your money then pay the landlord a visit after dark

in what state/country? in the US, they cannot charge for normal wear and tear.

NO CLEANING IS NOT THEIR RESPONSIBILITY, it is yours, you need to leave it clean, if you don't they can charge you.

if you want to paint it yourself, check with the landlord and see if he will work with you on that.

it dont sound right, rnyabe you should talk to a lawyer about it

Cleaning yes. It is your responsibility to leave it clean. repaint, not unless you damaged the paint.

• stephanie7 months agoReport

Of course I’ll clean when I leave ... painting. They’re are a few stains. I was planning on painting it myself

• Lisa A

Check your state or local laws. I most places, no. They can not charge you for normal wear and tear. "Refreshment" is absolutely the result of normal wear and tear.