Did Thrash Metal influence Grunge at all?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes but not directly.

Something you might find interesting, at the time of the recording of "Bleach" the members of Nirvana were really into Celtic Frost.

Source(s): .56
  • 4 months ago

Heavy metal and punk rock both influenced Grunge. Thrash metal may have been a small influence but not as influential to Grunge as Heavy metal. Kurt Cobain liked Metallica's music.

• 5 months ago

perhaps alice in chains but the rest I Don't think (more punk/hard core, hard rock 70's)

• 5 months ago

punk influenced grunge bands

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Dave Grohl once had a side project called Probot, which released an extreme metal album. Grohl wanted to honour the genre which inspired Nirvanas heaviest songs (and perhaps Foo Fighters heaviest songs)

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

It depends because Grunge encompasses a lot of different sounds.

Grunge and metal in spite of being polar opposites are complimentary in many ways... since both have a very heavy sound with overdriven guitars with primarily power chords.

Alice in Chains was labeled Grunge because they were from the Seattle area but they always considered themselves a metal band. They’d probably be the closest to thrash... like Again off of their self-titled 1995 album.

Similarly... I’d call Stone Temple Pilots a very hair/glam metal influenced band. Especially their first albums with the very clean over refined guitar sounds and the themes of overindulgence and decadence.

Nirvana though was more punk than metal. Very simple song structures that don’t really don’t fit any metal genre at all.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I think it did in many ways, if you listen to Nirvana's album bleach it's very heavy, there is a hint of metal in it, they just wanted to get away from the technical guitar playing and the commercial aspect of it but many turned commercial when they grew up and seen the money that was to be made, they weren't so different after all

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.