Anonymous

Is it correct to call a learning disabled person mentally challenged?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It is possible to be both gifted and learning disabled. It's called twice exceptional. It's possible to have an extremely high IQ and have ADHD, Aspergers, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalclia. It you are "twice exceptional" it usually means you are very talented in some areas but lacking in your area of disability.

I have ADHD and Dyspraxia but I have a masters degree with honours so no I don't think that is an appropriate way to talk at all. Just say learning disability.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

I agree with hillbilly not all of them, I was in Special Education all of my school years and where I am from they call it learning disabled/disabilities. Sometimes EEN, which means Exceptional Educational Needs. However, mentally challenged is a whole lot better then saying mental R****d

• Lili
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

"Mental" and "intellectual" are not synonyms in this context.

• 6 months ago

no................................

• 6 months ago

Not all of them. I was a Special Education Teacher in grades 7-12, and low I.Q. is NOT THE ONLY thing which makes a person have problems in learning. Look it all up.

• Lili
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

That wasn't the question.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

that is politically improper. the correct phrase is "a person with learning disabilities" .. and only when the qualifying bit about disabilities is needed

• Lili
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No. "Mentally" implies mental illness. You could use the term "intellectually challenged," but most people I know use "learning challenged". My sister works in this field, as a social worker and counselor, and that's the term she uses. "Learning disabled" is also common.

Having a learning disability says nothing about your mental health, while "intellectually challenged" is really used more of people with disorders like Down Syndrome.

• TheBellJar
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Having a specific learning disability says nothing about your overall intelligence as well.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.