T asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 5 months ago

is Tom Cruise still being a pilot in the new Top Gun movie at his age unrealistic?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

It's FICTION SO ANY THING IS POSSABLE!

• 5 months ago

It’s Hollywood. It’s not supposed to be real

• 5 months ago

Not really. General Chuck Yeager was still flying jet fighters up into his 70s. The difference is they do not fly combat, flying the jet is easy.

• 5 months ago

I do not know the age of the character that he will portray.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

there are colonels still on flight status

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Let’s just say all the locals here at Aviation Training Command are gonna go just to point out everything that’s wrong with the premise.

• 5 months ago

Due to his height, any ideas of Tom Cruise being a military pilot is laughable.

• 5 months ago

No. One guy was still a pilot when he was 99.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It is unrealistic that he is even still in the Navy. Mandatory retirement for O-6s is 30 years of commissioned service. Maverick at this point is pushing 40 years in.

Assuming that for some reason he was allowed to stay in this long because of his accomplishments, an O-6 would be getting enough flight time in to collect flight pay. Most of his time would be behind a desk.

Also, Maverick probably would have been involved in Tailhook and forced out nearly 30 years ago.

UPDATE: just to put things into perspective:

Since Top Gun came out in 1986, and Maverick was an O-3, he would have been commissions no later than 1982.

The current CNO was commissioned in 1982. The man nominated to replace him was commissioned in 1985.

The current commander of INDOPACOM (a 4 star admiral) was commissioned in 1982.

• ?
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

LOL about a fictional Tailhook involvement. The real one was enough.

• 5 months ago

I thought he was going to be an instructor

• Daniel
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

I thought that I heard that too. I think a more realistic scenario would be for him to be a contractor flying red air.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.