Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 11 months ago

Would you block birth-family's calls or try to explain through language barrier?

I was adopted from a country in Europe as an infant. I found one of my siblings and in the few days since we ve been facebook friends, they have called me via facebook messenger video chat over 60x. I answered one of their first calls and we just looked at each other because I only speak English and they don t know any English. They keep calling. I could type in FB messenger something like "no calls I m busy" but they likely won t understand, and saying I m busy implies I ll be free later. Should I just block them then?

The problem is the frequency of the calls. I can't use my phone because it's constantly ringing (and at odd hours because of the time difference). I have 24 missed calls from them this morning, alone.

Also, calls in general were unexpected. I envisioned we'd talk through writing and like many suggested, use an app to translate written text. I was surprised by their video chat calls and now growing annoyed because of the frequency. I just don't know how to kindly say please don't call me.

I think there are less drastic things to do than block your sibling.

Write a message and translate it, letting your sibling know that written messages are easiest for you at this time.

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.
  • Suzy Q

You want to KINDLY tell your long lost sibling who is obviously desperately trying to contact you to stop calling? Good luck with that.

You say you answered ONE of the first calls, and obviously the language barrier was too great to communicate. I'm sure your sibling noticed that. So I would expect, since they've been trying to video call you again, that they have taken action to fix that problem. There could be a relative (another of YOUR relatives) sitting next to them ready to translate.

In your position I wouldn't be wondering how to get them to stop calling. I would be wondering what might be so important and sensitive and urgent that my recently found sibling has been trying so frantically to video call me.

Seems like the first thing you need to do is decide whether or not you want to try to develop a relationship with this people or not. If not, block or unfriend them.

If you want to try to get to know each other, use a translation application and do your best to say that phone calls won't work and to please stop calling.

• Cara

You haven't explained the problem, unless it's purely the language. You contacted them, presumably out of interest, and they have responded. Why would you now want to block them?

Don't blck them..get an App.to translate....

• -

Block them. Problem solved.

i would just tell thern you need rnore tirne to yourself, theyre just excited cause you found thern

If you don't want to talk to them, why did you bother to contact them in the first place?

If it's the language barrier holding you back, don't be so lazy that you're willing to give up. There are language translations sites, and probably apps that both parties can use, so you can at least say a few things to each other.

• marty

Why not write so each of you can translate in own language.