Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 6 months ago

My son spends his student allowance on pizza all the time and won't learn to make any food for himself. He is 19. I cook him dinner but?

he only eats half of the dinners I cook because of his Sensory Processing Disorder that means he can't stand a lot of tastes. What should I do?

He was never diagnosed with sensory processing disorder only ADHD. I am just saying he has it because he is so averse to so many foods and tastes are often too strong for him.

He has not been diagnosed with any form of autism he's been diagnoed only with ADHD and only when he was 16 because all my efforts to get him tested for ADHD before that didn't work because doctors in this country don't know the symptoms and are stupid in the public health system and they just fluffed around and I had to take him private when he was 16 and I finally had enough money to go private.

Well duh he's getting a student allowance from the government because he's in college.

Gee I thought if I put it in this section I would get intolerant parent blaming creeps answering but no such luck.

Oh I remember "Simply the Facts" being an intolerant jerk on other questions in this section too.

I meant to say I thought in Special Education I would NOT get so many intolerance judgemental; people but no such luck.

• audrey
    Favorite Answer

Just let him eat pizza. It won't hurt him.

He likes pizza let him eat pizza.

you needed to be working on this for the past 19 years. Some people with SPD have issues with tastes and textures. If you have access to it, get a speech therapist who specializes in feeding issues. A behaviorist may also be able to help. You need to introduce new foods and give him time to get used to them (ie just tasting a small bite at 1st, followed by a desired food).

This is not something that can be fixed quickly. At 1st you need to cook 99% of things he will eat, once he tolerates 1% other food, then try 95/5, etc

One would assume you know what tastes your son can't stand by now. So why do you cook food that he will not eat?

And why is he getting a "student allowance." He's an adult, he should be living in his own place and earning his own way, unless you are footing the bills for his way through college right now.

Sensory disorders are major symptoms for autistic people. If he has a high level autistic disorder, you really should let us know because that changes the whole perspective on what you should do.

• marty

Stop doing things for him. He's an adult and needs to learn to do things by himself.

Cook what he will eat then.