I Am A Older Male I Will Be Seeing A New Primary Care Doctor And Will Be Having A Yearly Physical And Have Diabetes’s Will I Have To Fast?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Sam
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They might ask you when the last time you ate anything.   If you know you have diabetes then you should be on a sugar free diet, so by the time they draw blood, having eaten won't make a lot of difference.  

I always just tell them I haven't eaten anything in about four hours and it seems to satisfy them.  

Truth is I usually drink a couple cups of coffee with lots of cream and sugar, just before I go to the doctors office.   My glucose is still usually within normal range and the few times it was a little high, I know what caused it.  They never say anything and don't seem to be concerned about it.  If they ever would say my glucose is a little high, I'll tell them my glucose level if fine  considering I ate a ton of sugar in coffee, on my way to the doctors office. If I hadn't consumed the sweet coffee, it would've been within normal range.   I call it my glucose tolerance test. 

Source(s): I always warn my doctors that I am not a good patient. I will take in what they tell me, but I make the ultimate decision. It's my life, and I have outlived many doctors.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Doubt it, they would probably just do a general blood test and only ask you to fast for a follow up if that suggests your sugar levels are out of control.

• Cammie
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The office will let you know. Call them as you are concerned.

• 7 months ago

You will have to fast if the doctor ordered blood tests. BTW coffee will spike your blood pressure.

• Sam
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

that is usually true, but not everyone is the same.  I can drink  a double espresso and have a blood pressure of 110/55 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.