Ricky asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 6 months ago

23 and me info?

I have just found out I am 1/4 French and German but seeing as I don't talk to any of my grandparents or my Mum it's hard to find out which grandparent I've inherited the ethnicity from. Is there any way I can find out this?

• Brian

Typically talking of 1/4, 1/2 etc.. in terms of DNA is most useful to people of mixed race parentage or ancestry, like European/Asian or African/European etc..Those of mono racial background usually have ancestry from various parts of one continent or one general region of it ,so a White French person wont usually get 100% French in such a test but rather ancestry dotted around western, northern and perhaps southern Europe, so being 1/4 French doesnt have the same meaning as being 1/4 European, 1/4 Asian, 1/4 African etc..

• Observer

People seem to have forgotten about human movement Generally speaking people various religions didn't tend to mix. All of what was considered Europe was considered "white". Boundaries of countries changed a lot. Frenchman today could be German tomorrow. Check birth, death & immigration records

You could try to research public records, but if you were not raiser within the ancestry, there isn't much of the ethnicity that you have inherited.

• Zirp

There is no such thing as "1/4" in genetic reality, and you don't inherit an ethnicity from people you don't speak with. Ethnicity is the language(s) and culture you were raised in.

• Maxi

First off you have had a ancestry DNA test, these are sold as products of entertainment and nothing more....... You are NOT a bit, piece, fraction or percentage of anything, you are 100% citizen of whatever country you are a national of and you do not magically become "French/Germany" ethnicity as .ethnicity means an individuals customs, cultures,allegiance and associations in the country YOU were born/brought up/live in and in YOUR family home, so the food YOU eat, the language YOU speak, the holidays YOU celebrate........ The ONLY way to find your ancestry is to research and that means finding the written records each generation generated during their lifetime starting with your own and your parents records, so you will need to ask your mum for yours/ her records which are at home...so birth certificate, marriage certificate etc..your parents birth cert will give you the names of their parents and of course you can also ask questions about what they know such as their grandparents names. This will help you to know what you need to ask to see https://familytimeline.webs.com/recordsinyourownho...

• marty

Ancestry.com.....

I think there's a website google it