Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 6 months ago

Does an M.2 ssd takes up PCIE lanes?

I plan to get a CPU with support for 16 PCI express lanes. but given a GPU requires 16 lanes (i assume all GPU are 16x tho i'm not sure) will it affect the speed of M.2 SSD if i install it on my motherboard?

The typical mainstream CPU might have 16 PCI-E lanes but you're discounting the lanes that come from the chipset. For instance, The Intel z390 chipset has 24x PCI-E 3.0 lanes.

This is the reason I STRONGLY recommend avoiding entry level chipsets like h110, h310, and AMD's a320. In sharp contrast to the z390 chipset, the h310 chipset come with 6x PCI-E 2.0 lanes. At the bare minimum, if you're going with Intel then go with the b360 chipset because it has 12x PCI-E 3.0 lanes.

Yes, there are both SATA based and PCI-E/NVMe based M.2 drives. M.2 is merely a form factor and an interface. The most common PCI-E/NVMe drives like the Samsung 970 Evo series uses 4x PCI-E lanes but it should use the lanes that come from the chipset and not the CPU. No need to worry about cutting into the CPU's limited PCI-E lane allotment.

• David

It depends, an M.2 NVMe SSD uses pcie lanes, an M.2 SATA SSD uses the AHCI interface not pcie lanes. I have never heard that installing an M.2 NVMe SSD affects GPU performance.

• Frank

Well, the m.2 is still a pcie device. It still has to work the same way regardless of its overall tiny size and interface type. Its is just a storage device when all is said and done. Just tiny and fast.