Will my guitar sound better after pay for a setup?

So I recently bought an used guitar and I was wondering if doing a setup on it it's gonna improve my sound, or what are some things that the setup are gonna do to my guitar?

It can also make the guitar more comfortable to play, for example, if the frets are worn out, they will have like a "hole" in them, caused by the repetition of the string pressing on them, and it forces you to apply more effort with your left hand. In that case, the frets can be either filed or changed, and the guitar will feel lighter to play.

A good setup will optimize the playability of your guitar. If your guitar is already easy to play, a setup may not be necessary, but most guitars will see some benefit. In addition to making adjustments to the action, a setup usually includes a fresh set of strings. New strings always make your guitar sound its best. If you have an electric guitar, a setup may include adjusting the pickups which can have some effect on sensitivity and tone.

Basically, a setup is intended to make your guitar play easy without getting fret buzz. Some improvement in tone (less fret buzz, fresh strings) may be obtained as a side effect, but it's not the main goal of a setup. If you hope to improve the tone of your guitar, speak to the guitar tech about that. There may be other things to try which are beyond the scope of a basic setup.

When your guitar is setup, the intonation is adjusted, the string height is adjusted accordingly, and strings sre chosen based on the tuning you want.

Also as an extension the guitar is cleaned and polished.

It should sound and play better.

Source(s): .56
  • Tony B

It depends on why it needs to be set up. Unless there's something actually wrong a set up is pointless.

If they guitar plays out of tune - because the nut is too high, the relief is wrong or the bridge is adjusted wrongly then a good set up will correct that and it will sound better (in tune). If it's an electric guitar and the pickups are adjusted wrongly then correcting that will improve the sound. Otherwise a set up generally just makes the guitar better, nicer, more comfortable to play.

I'd expect a setup to cover adjustments (if necessary) to the neck relief, the nut, the intonation and the action, the pickup height (if electric) and adjustments to the tremolo (vibrato really) bridge (if it has one).

Fretwork, working on the electronics and doing actual repairs or replacing parts go beyond a normal”set up”.

Depends on the quality of the guitar, you'd be better asking at the shop.

But if its a decent guitar, its always good to get a set up. I've seen guys with guitars with lousy set ups and they wonder why its hard to play. A guitar with a good setup will have less clearance between the string and the fret's which equates to easy playability, less effort and strength required for bar-chords etc.