Can my husband & I can get our rental application fee back?

My husband & I applied to rent a small 2 bedroom house for our family of 4. Beforehand I called the leasing company and asked if there was a minimum credit score required because ours is on the low side. They assured me that the owner was not requiring a minimum credit score, and that once all applications... show more My husband & I applied to rent a small 2 bedroom house for our family of 4. Beforehand I called the leasing company and asked if there was a minimum credit score required because ours is on the low side. They assured me that the owner was not requiring a minimum credit score, and that once all applications were received they would compare applicants and choose from there. They told me to go ahead and apply and they scheduled us for the 1st available showing which wasn't until the following week. We applied and paid $40 each for me and my husband...... Almost Immediately, a few business hours later, I got an email saying my application had been denied due to credit score being a liability. We met all other requirements. (i.e.: we made more than enough for income requirements, no evictions, no bankruptcies, etc.). I know I was one of the first that turned in an application so I think they denied us without even letting the owner compare. If I would have known the leasing company had their own minimum credit score requirement I would have never applied. Now we are out $80.
11 answers 11