Can my husband & I can get our rental application fee back?

My husband & I applied to rent a small 2 bedroom house for our family of 4. Beforehand I called the leasing company and asked if there was a minimum credit score required because ours is on the low side. They assured me that the owner was not requiring a minimum credit score, and that once all applications were received they would compare applicants and choose from there. They told me to go ahead and apply and they scheduled us for the 1st available showing which wasn't until the following week. We applied and paid $40 each for me and my husband...... Almost Immediately, a few business hours later, I got an email saying my application had been denied due to credit score being a liability. We met all other requirements. (i.e.: we made more than enough for income requirements, no evictions, no bankruptcies, etc.). I know I was one of the first that turned in an application so I think they denied us without even letting the owner compare. If I would have known the leasing company had their own minimum credit score requirement I would have never applied. Now we are out $80.

unless you have it in writing that they would not consider credit score, you have no claim. and it doesn't matter that you were 1st.

even if they did not consider credit score, they would still choose a better applicant with a good score over you.

If you had gotten that statement from the leasing company in writing, you would have a case for getting your money back. As it stands, you don't.

You do not get your application fee refunded to you. Running credit checks isn't free.

NO. People fail to realize there is a 'cost' in running back ground and credit score checks. Did you really expect them to do this for free? An application fee is NEVER refundable.

No you don't get the fee back. It costs the landlord to run a credit check.

• R P

Fees are non-refundable, so, no, you will not get that money back.

Source(s): FL landlord
  • Maxi

If where you live the letting agent is allowed to charge application fees, which you will need to check the law then regardless of being accepted or denied it is a fee purely for the letting agents administration costs....... which means you will not get it back....... insist to the letting agent you want to ask the actual owner/landlord about your application as the letting agent is paid by the landlord and the landlord is the person who makes the decision.

The "rental application fee" sounds like a total scam, and the leasing company is getting away with it. You shouldn't have to pay anything to look at an apartment, or pay to be "qualified" to rent the apartment, especially if they told you the owner wasn't concerned about the credit score. Anytime you pay up front before even seeing the property, is probably a scam. They really didn't even do anything with your application, so why would they charge you guys $80? You probably won't get that money back, but you can complain to the Better Business Bureau. Beware of these so-called leasing companies.

You can try - ask. You are not likely to get it back. How you went about it sounds perfectly reasonable but it is generally not how landlords operate. If yours was the best application of the lot, you likely would have been approved. However, in this case, if there were numerous applicants, then it is a desirable place and with several applications to choose from, yours had no hope, so they denied it for the low credit score. With bad credit, apply to a place less desirable. You will have a much better chance at being approved.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

You can always ask.

But being "one of the first" doesn't really matter if the 2nd person applied a few minutes after you and their credit score is significantly higher than yours.