Why is the housing market on the west coast out of control ? Including cities like Portland, Boise, Seattle, los Angela’s, Etc.?

I can't remember a time housing here in Washington state was ever affordable... even in 2008.

I don't get why people want to live here, though.

I have been trying t figure that out myself, I live about 10 miles out of downtown Portland In the suburbs.

I see piece of crap small houses selling around here for $275,000,

You need to be making atleast 25 bucks an hour to afford a decent house around here.

• DEBS

Boise is not on the West Coast. That's like saying Columbus, OH or Kentucky is on the East Coast.

In general, those places are desirable and therefore housing is scarce and in high demand. They are desirable due to good job markets, weather, and natural beauty/weather.

• DEBS

Okay? I'm not sure what your point is, but thanks for the backing of my comment.

High demand, low supply. There are a lot of people who want to live in those areas and a limited amount of housing, which drives up the prices. You can buy a huge house for a low price in a place like Birmingham, Alabama, but that's because nobody actually wants to live there. They're all desperate to escape.

• MS

High demand for housing leads to high prices.