Anonymous

Was this the dumbest gift idea anyone’s likely to ever have had?

I thought innocently but stupidly enough that a black stone African head might make a nice gift for one of my African friends. I decided after I’d bought it that it’s a bit of a racist gift and that it’s best to give it to a non black person.

Favorite Answer

That's actually a cool gift.

If your friend gets really offended, one really shouldn't if he's your buddy, just try to play it off as a joke gift...

It's the thought that counts. If you got it with good intentions and you meant well, then I don't see how it would be a dumb gift

IT is a pretty dumb gift, but depending on the stone it might be rather nice. I gave an obsidian stone skull to a friend back in the 60's and she still has it and it is one of her favorite pieces. I guess it depends on the person who would be receiving it..

Well... it’s a thoughtful gesture... and you had good intentions... but it would be more meaningful if it came from their country of origin. Keep in mind that Africa is a continent. A random African head would kind of feel like you were only paying attention to outer appearance, not his or her culture.