Possible health problems for a chinchilla previously held in a small cage?

I've been looking into buying a chinchilla, and I finally found an ad for a five year old chin being sold in my area. Unfortunately, the seller has been keeping it in a single platform, guinea pig sized cage. I'm not sure yet if she's been living in that cage her entire life, or if only for a short bit... show more I've been looking into buying a chinchilla, and I finally found an ad for a five year old chin being sold in my area. Unfortunately, the seller has been keeping it in a single platform, guinea pig sized cage. I'm not sure yet if she's been living in that cage her entire life, or if only for a short bit of time before now, but I'm guessing she's been in it for a while. I also noticed that an exercise ball was on the list of items that they were selling along with the chin. I definitely would buy her if it meant getting her out of that cage, however I also do have a budget and I'm afraid I don't have the money to make a bunch of trips to the vet in the future.

Does anyone know if it's possible for problems to develop from these living conditions even if I bought her and put her in a proper sized cage from now on? I haven't contacted the seller at all yet because I wanted to check how big of a red flag this is so I know whether or not they're charging a fair amount if she's just going to have a harder time soon from not getting proper exercise in her early life.
1 answer 1