Can I run my truck's radiator on some water for 2 days?

My lower radiator hose has a hole and shot everything out. It was at the very top by the clap by the water pump so I cut the hose and reconnected. About a gallon shot out but there was still antifreeze up to the water pump. I added about 2 cups of spare antifreeze and 10 waterbottles but my hose won't come for 2 days. I have an expensive mishitmoto race radiator and feel uneasy with water sitting there since I'm driving my other car to Tijuana for the weekend

It will help clean it out.

You will be fine for a few days with tap water. But when you add the 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water make darn sure you use the best water you can put in your radiator which is either totally pure deionized water, or truly softened water. If you home tap water is soft water then that is what you should use. If it is hard water then get some soft water from someplace else. Both of these waters are devoid of calcium and magnesium. These are the hardness elements and this is what ruins radiators. and not tap water. Do not use distilled water in a radiator. The problem is that when water is distilled, or “stripped,” of its minerals and impurities, the resulting solution is composed of chemically imbalanced “ions.” This leaves distilled water “ionically hungry,” so it will actually strip electrons from the metals in a cooling system as it attempts to chemically re-balance itself. As it chemically removes electrons from the metals of cooling system components, distilled water eventually does extreme damage that could lead to cooling system failure. Also make sure you use the correct antifreeze for your make vehicle.

The radiator will be fine. The ENGINE is likely to BOIL the water at normal operating temperature. The function of antifreeze/coolant is to alter the freezing point AND the boiling point of the MIXTURE.

• Lv 4

good point

• Phil M

You will be fine for two days, or longer. But, you shouldn't leave it like that. Distilled water is not necessary if you use the proper amount of anti freeze, because of the additives in anti freeze prevent rust and corrosion.

• Erik

Yes, you can leave it like that, or just drain it all and start over. You should use distilled water, since tap water has minerals that can cause rust. Although when I got a new water pump installed, even though I brought the parts and had a gallon of distilled water right next to the coolant, the mechanic just left it there and used 100% tap water. There hasn't been any problem that I can see.

• Lv 4

good advice, Definitely better to always use Distilled or at least good RO Water, increases durability of components & coolant & conditioners; under the circumstances maybe good to carry about two fills worth in the vehicle, and drain & replace all fluid after repair is completed