What do I need to change my 82 Camaro rear from drums to disc?

So I am swapping my rear brakes from drum to disc. I got a 9 bolt Posi rear. And I am planing on using the reman calipers they came with the stock cars. Do I have to change my master cylinder. Currently my car had drums in the back and disc in the front

So, you want to make your car a "cheap rod", instead of a collectible.? Collectibles do not get modified. More work than the car is WORTH. Basically find a new rear end. that has calipers on it. Find you won't. Then you need a new master cylinder...for that set up. Again a "beach".

. What did you gain? A hole in your wallet that used to be filled with money. Now you got a PoS car. Rear brakes do not do anything.

. Learn something about braking principles and weight transfer.

Like 80% of the weight shifts to the front. and the back wheels got almost no weight on them meaning they barely touch the road. which is why drum brakes are perfectly fine for the rear. The rear drum brakes are mainly used for parking brake purposes. That means the car is already parked and not moving so the parking brake just stops it from rolling.

. All in all it WON'T IMPROVE BRAKING power as the rear wheels still float.

• falconry2

Rear drums fade with use because of heat,rear discs brakes are easier to service,most F bodies are NOT collectibles, discs/calipers look better. Could use Gen 3 whole rear, but there are plenty of parts/kits for just a swap. It's a fun hobby so he should enjoy messing around with swapping brakes.

• not

There are several differences in the master cylinder and propotioning valve. You should change to disc/disc parts there. Many people do not change these parts and claim satisfied with the results. Piratejack.net is a source I use for parts and if I recall some tech to read also.

• Lv 4

interesting question and good answer; also, important to check front caliper specifications cf front calipers for whatever the new rears will be etc etc so the Entire new system will be complete & compatible with Itself & with All the components in the Entire system

It is a question of tuning. A stock configuration is known to work. This way there is no telling what you might need. You could go through the windshield.

• falconry2

Part of hot rod building is swapping to better equipment and learning how and why it works. I'm building a 55 F100 with a Jaguar front suspension and Ford 4.6, but I'm still waffling on the rear end yet because I don't know if I want a 4 link or not. But guessing Blue folks don't know such things.