Are 3rd gen Camaros reliable cars or at least easy to work with? I ve heard they get a bad rep but I ve also heard there "tanks."?

Just looking for my insight from people who have had these cars or people who have been up close and work with them. Looking to possibly buy one. I ve done research on trims and engines and such but can t seem to find a definite answer to this question. Please if you could be as specific as possible to help with my purchase. Thank you so much

Old cars...well, SUCK.

Bought an '87 350tpi when it was only 7 years old. It was fun for awhile but the novelty soon wore off. It was one of the worst cars I've ever owned. Not that easy to work on and it developed all kinds of problems from electrical [notoriously bad dashboard] to mechanical [notoriously bad accessory bracket serpentine belt system]. Heavy car, a slug at handling and a gas guzzler with mediocre performance. Pass.

• Will

I have a third gen Pontiac Firebird which is basically the same thing. 3rd gen Camros and Firebirds are good cars. They are tanks in regards to their heavy, but sturdy body. I actually T-boned a Prius in my Firebird, but at a lower speed (15mph) due to slowing down, and my car took minimal damage compared to the side of their car which got utterly ****** up like it was a tin can. My bumper only cracked in one spot. It was the 30 year metal that took a bend, but still under $2000 worth of damage.

I'd say the trickiest thing engine-wise is trying to replace spark plugs if it's got a Chevy Small Block engine. Otherwise, I am not even a mechanics expert and it was easy enough for me to replace my windshield washer pump which had stopped working. The headlamp motors are also easily accessible.

Yes, 3rd gen Camaros are good cars. I can't say it is reliable since it is 30+ years old, but if you want a project car that can also be your primary car, it's a reasonable choice. Although I personally would go with its brother, the Firebird. You don't have to drive a Pontiac, but you'd be a lot cooler if you did.

• Will

Use CarGurus to find the best deal. You could probably find one out there with only 5000 miles and listed for just $15000.