Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 7 months ago

If I put a baby kingsnake in an adult-size enclosure, how many hides should I have?

I've seen that you can put babies in adult-sized enclosures as long as you have the proper number of hides so the little guys don't feel too exposed, anyone know a good number of hides to put for a kingsnake if I were to get a 20-30 gallon enclosure?

• Ocimom

2 or 3 would be fine for your snake. Make them a little different in sizes (medium and large).

I am Not An Expert, but I suspect if you go my a rule of thumb of "any area the size of the proper-sized cage should have at least one hide in it", you're probably good. Eg if the "proper" sized cage for a baby is about half the size of the one you got, make sure you have at least 3 hides--one on either end, and one in the middle.

I just put two in for my baby king, but have Aspen shavings as a substrate. They can dig their own little tunnels and make their own hides.

get as many hiding spots as possible! My baby king snake loved his hiding spots and it made him feel more safe. If you don't have enough hiding spots then the snake may become agitated.

I used a couple, that seemed to be just fine, that was a 30 gallon tank too.

As many hiding spots as possible

2 max if you have 1 snake many folks offer 1 but you need to have a climber a water bowl large enough for the snake to curl up into so all this has to fit loose and so the snake has space to streach and climb and eat and rest,

• joeparker67

That’s a nice albino cobra. I have a female I need to breed but never do. You still can’t have to many hides... I go to some of those reptile shows too lol that’s crazy to see vendors I know in his videos