How long do you give a new employee to understand their new job?

I own a family business but my father has now retired. I am now the manager and I hired an assistant manager to help out. He’s been here 2 weeks but doesn’t seem to be grasping his job. I’ve done quite a bit of informal training with him but I feel as if he’s asking the same questions over and over again. I’m... show more I own a family business but my father has now retired. I am now the manager and I hired an assistant manager to help out. He’s been here 2 weeks but doesn’t seem to be grasping his job. I’ve done quite a bit of informal training with him but I feel as if he’s asking the same questions over and over again. I’m trying to work with him and I’m wondering if I’m just not explaining things or if he’s just not getting it. It’s been cutting into a lot of my time having to train him. I was under the impression via the interview I had with him and his resume that he had a bit more experience in certain areas then he actually appears to have. Things he said he knew how to do/had done before it’s very apparent he doesn’t know how to do as I wouldn’t have to sit and explain it to him.

I’m thinking of firing him however it’s only been 2 weeks.
Should I give him more time?