Anonymous

How long do you give a new employee to understand their new job?

I own a family business but my father has now retired. I am now the manager and I hired an assistant manager to help out. He’s been here 2 weeks but doesn’t seem to be grasping his job. I’ve done quite a bit of informal training with him but I feel as if he’s asking the same questions over and over again. I’m trying to work with him and I’m wondering if I’m just not explaining things or if he’s just not getting it. It’s been cutting into a lot of my time having to train him. I was under the impression via the interview I had with him and his resume that he had a bit more experience in certain areas then he actually appears to have. Things he said he knew how to do/had done before it’s very apparent he doesn’t know how to do as I wouldn’t have to sit and explain it to him.

I’m thinking of firing him however it’s only been 2 weeks.

Should I give him more time?

Give him an official note of the issues, and very clear expectations. Then give him a realistic period in which to resolve these issues.

Well it's quite common that people often over promise, or exaggerate their abilities. I think this is just because they want to make the best impression that they can. It doesn't though mean that they intend to be deceptive. People, well anyway when it comes to job interviews, well, seem to over sell them selves. In regards to their job training - you really need to teach them everything you know about management, why not take the profits, and have someone else run the store? If the training doesn't seem to be sinking in, and they appear not remember what you've taught them then it could quite possibly be that they are so afraid on the inside that they could do a bad job, or get on your bad side, or even be fired! They just need to calm down, develop self confidence, self respect, and be themselves and enjoy their job...

...self help or personal development books should help,

I recommend having them read through a few,

Below is a link to a website that provides FREE copies of some of the best self improvement texts of the last 100 years.

Oh! and umm, get him a high quality MANAGEMENT textbook,

that should help a heap too

Goodluck!

Most employers give a new employee a 'probation period'. During this time, the employee learns what must be done and must follow those instructions. Once the probation period is over, then the employer makes a decision to keep the employee or not.

give him at the end of this month and if he still doesn't seem to pick things up then sack him. but you might want to check if he has ADD or something. I have this and its affected my job. I am controlling it now and improved a lot but it sounds like he has this.

• Most probation periods last about a month to 3 months.

If what he said was true on his resume and in the interview, unless he's a slow learner it shouldn't take him too long to pick things up.

Have a talk with him, give him another week or two to improve on those things. Show him where he needs to improve. If that doesn't happen then fire him.

I think he may have over embellished his resume and maybe lied about what he's capable of doing. Do a background check on the guy, call his references / previous work places. if you find out that he lied then fire him. Or maybe he managed a completely different place and he has to get used to doing the job in a store.

Have a discussion with him and express your concerns.

Ask him to take more responsibility for his learning, such as taking notes. Put some things in writing that you expect him to be fully across within the next couple of weeks and make it his responsibility to achieve them.

Part of why you hired this person is he looked to be the best of the applicants – if you were to hire someone new that is also going to take time from you, with no guarantees of a better result. Can you see him being up to the task within 2 months?

• Judy

Have a serious talk with him and express your concerns.

If he lied, in the interview or on his resume, fire him immediately. If what he said was factually true and you made incorrect assumptions, then give him enough time to see if he's learning.

Possibly print out some of the tasks he seems to not be grasping, go over them discuss and give him a week.

Have a frank discussion with him.