Considering dropping out of college and returning later?

I have recently finished my fourth year in college and I will need at least an extra semester if not a another full year to obtain my degree. I was recently told that if I want to be considered for financial aid, I would have to fill out a fifth year appeal. I already have about a certain amount loan debt and I... show more I have recently finished my fourth year in college and I will need at least an extra semester if not a another full year to obtain my degree. I was recently told that if I want to be considered for financial aid, I would have to fill out a fifth year appeal. I already have about a certain amount loan debt and I don't want to deal with $25K, $30K, $40K student loan debt. My single mom is currently in school (only has one job), my dad is not in my life (hasn't contributed a dime), and I'm an only child. My GPA is not that high and I feel that working while completing school might put my grades in jeopardy. I'm truly considering dropping school for a few years, working to try to pay off as much of my debt as possible and returning back to school. Thoughts?
Update: @ibu guru ...dude, my grade is not that poor. It's slightly above average.