Considering dropping out of college and returning later?

I have recently finished my fourth year in college and I will need at least an extra semester if not a another full year to obtain my degree. I was recently told that if I want to be considered for financial aid, I would have to fill out a fifth year appeal. I already have about a certain amount loan debt and I don't want to deal with $25K, $30K, $40K student loan debt. My single mom is currently in school (only has one job), my dad is not in my life (hasn't contributed a dime), and I'm an only child. My GPA is not that high and I feel that working while completing school might put my grades in jeopardy. I'm truly considering dropping school for a few years, working to try to pay off as much of my debt as possible and returning back to school. Thoughts?

@ibu guru ...dude, my grade is not that poor. It's slightly above average.

• martin

As long as you are used to being a student, you should finish up your degree now because later on, getting into the student life again is going to be extremely difficult. Very few people work as hard and under pressure as students do.

1. Finding work with no degree, no experience, no specialized skills will be tough, and it will be especially hard to find something earning enough to pay off current debt + living expenses.

2. Dropouts, especially if out more than 1-2 years, rarely return to complete their degree. They get caught up in other things, forget too much & lose study skills, and find it too difficult to return.

3. 80% of American college students work at least 20 hrs/wk - and still earn good grades. If you had done this, you would not have so much debt, you would have some work experience & references, etc. If you cannot keep up with school when you're among the minority who do not work at all, you have to question whether you are really working to capacity, & whether you really have the ability to do college level studies.

Tough decision since you are not a good student, but have no job skills or experience, either. You either pull out all the stops, work your butt off to work part-time AND earn great grades, or drop out, realizing your college degree is likely never going to happen.

• Brian

I worked my way through the University, however I only went part time and did take off a semester here and there to go traveling. Do want is best for you.