Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Do all graduate programs require you to write a masters thesis?

If I am in a program that requires little research, such as school counseling, will I likely need to write a thesis?

There are non- thesis master degree programs, BUT you usually have to write a research paper. You do have to defend it orally, but only before one person, not a committee. There are some masters degree programs that don't require an oral defense. My closest friend was admitted to a double doctorate program. She did write a masters thesis, but according to her she did not defend it orally. She decided NOT to get the Ph.D. later on.

Whether a non THesis masters program is offered or not depends entirely on the college/school or department and policies if the university. How long the research paper is may depend on one faculty member's, the department /school chairperson's personal preference.

I should mention that this is for the United States. In Europe a research maters degree may not require an oral defense.

• MS

Not all require it. The master's program in which I teach offers a choice between a few options, one of which is a master's thesis. It is something that will vary by school and by program. It should be listed in the program requirements, which are usually available online.

Ask your program. I had to do original research and write a thesis (not a dissertation-that is a PhD), so you need to find out what your program requires/

• Lili

No. They are standard in the arts and sciences, which lead on to a PhD, but not in professional-degree programs. You normally won't have to write one for, say, an MBA.

There's a great deal of paper-writing, though, in most programs. Don't think you can get out of that.

• martin

The thesis is normal for a doctorate degree but not a bachelor's degree, or even most masters degrees.

Nope not all of them. For my Masters there was no thesis. But every core course required a term paper written in the formal style of a thesis, footnotes and all. If your Masters program is a good one, it will demand of you to be a good writer.

And when you get into the workforce, you'll be thankful for that because good writers are hard to come by. And when your boss finds out you can write well, promotions and pay raises will soon follow.

You'll need to ask about your specific program. I got my MS in Information Science and didn't have to write a thesis. In fact, when I asked about doing so I was told that it had been so long since anyone had written a thesis that they didn't have current guidelines for the requirements. I was politely asked to do something else. However, I know other people with the same degree from different schools who were required to write a thesis, so it all comes down to the school and the program.