Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

How do I put my cats on a crash diet?

They are getting very obese lately. I know it’s my fault for overfeeding them. But now I want to correct the situation, by straightening out out their diet. How should I do this?

This is a good question to ask your Vet. We all could be giving advise that might be all wrong for your cat.

Good Luck!

• Ocimom

You do this with the advice of a vet. You cannot do a "crash" diet. You need to get the cat on a healthy diet.

NO dry food left out all the time, portioned canned food meals twice a day, and more exercise and play.

Crash diets are not healthy for people but can straight up kill a cat. Sudden weight loss can cause fatty liver in cats. Get him on grain free canned or a balanced raw diet. Let him eat as much as he wants at first and monitor his weight. If hes losing weight, great. Keep doing what you are doing. If hes not losing anything you will want to reduce how much hes getting so he loses about 1-2% of his body weight weekly.

Feed about 1/2 cup of food in the morning and in the evening. Get an extendable play toy and make them chase it.

Rapid weight loss can be very dangerous for a cat. Do not stop feeding them, just cut down on the serving size...no free feeding.. AND do all you can to increase activity levels (more active play). Quality wet food is a must. More meat, fewer carbs. Scheduled feeding times is also important. Cat will complain , but get used to it, after awhile.

• patty

I fed my pets twice a day. and don't give any snacks.

• PAMELA

You need expert advice, see a vet.

Just stop feeding them. They will annoy you but finally settle into sullen (but lean) silence. Wake your cat up when it is time to eat again.

Give them a little less food. If that doesn't result in weight loss after a couple of weeks, give a little less than that..

By soliciting the vet's advice.

Don't do it on your own, it could be dangerous for the cat.