Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

How do I put my cats on a crash diet?

They are getting very obese lately. I know it’s my fault for overfeeding them. But now I want to correct the situation, by straightening out out their diet. How should I do this?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

This is a good question to ask your Vet. We all could be giving advise that might be all wrong for your cat.

Good Luck!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You do this with the advice of a vet. You cannot do a "crash" diet. You need to get the cat on a healthy diet.

NO dry food left out all the time, portioned canned food meals twice a day, and more exercise and play.

• 6 months ago

Crash diets are not healthy for people but can straight up kill a cat. Sudden weight loss can cause fatty liver in cats. Get him on grain free canned or a balanced raw diet. Let him eat as much as he wants at first and monitor his weight. If hes losing weight, great. Keep doing what you are doing. If hes not losing anything you will want to reduce how much hes getting so he loses about 1-2% of his body weight weekly.

• 6 months ago

Feed about 1/2 cup of food in the morning and in the evening. Get an extendable play toy and make them chase it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Rapid weight loss can be very dangerous for a cat. Do not stop feeding them, just cut down on the serving size...no free feeding.. AND do all you can to increase activity levels (more active play). Quality wet food is a must. More meat, fewer carbs. Scheduled feeding times is also important. Cat will complain , but get used to it, after awhile.

• patty
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

I fed my pets twice a day. and don't give any snacks.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You need expert advice, see a vet.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Just stop feeding them. They will annoy you but finally settle into sullen (but lean) silence. Wake your cat up when it is time to eat again.

• 6 months ago

Give them a little less food. If that doesn't result in weight loss after a couple of weeks, give a little less than that..

• 6 months ago

By soliciting the vet's advice.

Don't do it on your own, it could be dangerous for the cat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.