Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 months ago

Question about History?

I was born and raised in the UK and moved to the US and is seems like in the US they are taught in the revolution they were the good guys because they fought for independence, freedom etc. But in UK i was taught once we left the mass extermination of natives happened and expansion into native lands which the British had a treaty we would not do.

So my MAIN question is: Is History written by the victor?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Fred
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

The Genocide of the Native North American Indian was going to happen one way or another under UK or US governmental control (or lack of governmental control).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

"Winners write the history books" is nonsense. Speer's book is one of the best there is about nazi Germany. American schoolchildren certainly do not learn about the Vietnam war from books written by former Viet-Cong fighters. Who would write about the Korean war, which would seem to be a draw?

• ...Show all comments
    • michinoku2001
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Fest, Schubert and Trommer didn't have the insider POV Speer had. Of course Speer had to lie a lot, he didn't want to be hung. Shirer wasn't a professional historian either, but his book still holds up well.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The concept of who's "right" and who's "wrong" is just silly, especially when we're talking about two groups of people going to war with one another. It's natural for people to choose sides, that's what people do. When two of my mates are arguing, I normally agree with one over the other, just like when couples fight, people are bound to view one person in the relationship as being in the wrong and the other person being right. But that doesn't really translate to international relations where complex political problems don't always have short, simple answers.

It's not a case of the Americans being "right" and the British being "wrong" or vice versa. Each side could make a case for being right. It's all about one's own interpretation of the actual events.

After the signing of the Treaty of Paris, Great Britain agreed to formally recognise the United States as an independent sovereign nation. Because that occurred, we can't know what would have happened if the territory that's now known as the United States of America had remained British. Is it possible that the mass extermination of native Americans that occurred in the United States might never have happened? Sure it's possible, but for all we know it could have been a lot worse. Would things have played out in a similar fashion with slavery if the colonies had never achieved independence? Probably, because Britain abolished slavery before the United States did, but it's likely that the people who relied on slave labour and profited from the slave trade would have been just as upset if Britain had outlawed slavery as they were when the American government did. What they might have done about it is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't say that all out war would have been an option completely removed from the table. Would you?

And what about the way natives were treated in other places that remained under British rule? Some Australians treated Aborigines very harshly, and a few were especially cruel and brutal. And the Australian government - comprised of regents representing Great Britain, and later the UK, in Australia, failed to condemn them. In fact, it wasn't even illegal to kill an Aborigine in Australia until modern times as they weren't officially considered human beings. That's just despicable and inexcusable. Can you British claim some moral high ground that Americans cannot? I don't think so.

A good teacher presents facts and allows his or her students to form their own opinions. It's bad form to attempt to hammer one's own beliefs into a student and then cite examples and provide information that supports that view.

I'm not American and I'm not British, so I don't have a dog in the race on this one. But I can say that while the Americans were unspeakably immoral in their treatment of Native Americans, the British were no better when they were enslaving the Irish and sending whole families off to die on sugar plantations in the Caribbean, or when they were enslaving Africans, or when they were slaughtering people in Africa and Australia and India.

The answer to your question is that we all share the same history, but facts can be manipulated and the focus can be shifted. Things can be added, subtracted, altered, so the end result may be different. It's a sure sign of a weak mind for a person to be compelled to form an unwavering and rigid opinion on a broad and complicated topic. Intelligent people examine all the angles and see the situation as it is - with the good and the bad coming together to form a cohesive whole.

• 7 months ago

Yes. History is written by the victors.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

The history presented to "Joe Average' is generally what was written by the victors. However, in the modern era, with vastly increased communications, that's less so than it ever was. My history collection has authors from all sides, including neutrals. Yours could & should too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Fred
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I remember back in the 1960s American movies still showed the native Indians as savages who the Americans had every right to murder and steal their lands. It was not until about the 1980s that people started to question the American old wild west beliefs and started to tell of brave Indian warriors trying desperately to drive the murderous Europeans out of their lands.

Back when Britain was in control the Europeans had not pushed far into America and the large Indian wars had not taken place, but in the 1800s Europeans poured into America and pushed out westward to claim their bit of this new land they could have for very little cost. Likely even if the British had still been in control these murders of Indian tribes would have happened by greedy Europeans wanting to drive the Indians off their lands. Whether the British would have sent troops into clear the Indians off their lands as the American government did we will never know.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

One of the earliest movies to shatter the standard narrative re: N. American natives was 1970's "Little Big Man", with Dustin Hoffman. That same year, Dee Brown's book "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" did the same.

• 7 months ago

Yes History is written by the victors, however if you look at British History in other countries they colonized - they killed natives.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

EVERY imperial power throughout history has slaughtered much of the population of places it invades.

• 7 months ago

It's difficult to take anyone seriously who has to hide behind anonymity.

• Sharon
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

who else is there? even if losers survive, their views are either suppressed or ignored

• Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Less so in our modern internet era.

• 7 months ago

I'm reminded of the following quote:

"Tradition usually rests upon things which men did know; history is often the manufacture of the mere liar."

If you're not familiar with this rather insightful quote, it's probably because it's speaker, Jefferson Davis, was on the losing side of history.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

That was not what we were taught at my school in England.

Maybe your memory is playing you false.

Or maybe you made it up to make the inaccurate victors write history claim again.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

So you never learn of the Royal Proclamation of King George III, dated 7 Oct. 1763? It's even regarded as the premier document of Canada's constitution.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.