My 04’ Mitsubishi Lancer runs hot at idle.?

I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer(100k miles), and it runs hot at idle(sitting in one spot or sitting in park), but cools when driving.. when it runs hot, i let it sit for an hour or so and add coolant and it does fine for a couple of days. i changed the thermostat & it did okay for a few days then started doing the same thing again so I added ‘bars leak liquid aluminum cooling system radiator and heater core stop leak’ & that stopped it for a few days. I also noticed when I take it on the highway it heats up just a little but once I come to a stop it almost instantly runs hot. Just recently was on the road and after about 45 minutes of driving, it started to heat up almost to red so I’m at a stop at the moment waiting on it to cool to add more coolant. I noticed a good bit of coolant leak(very first time it has had the leak) that looks like is coming from the reserve but the reserve is full. I’m trying to figure out where is the coolant going for me to have to keep adding nd this is the very first time it has leaked.. Any ideas of what this can be and what it would cost to get it fixed?

• Jason

Does the radiator cooling fan work? Also, don't use stop leak. Just find where the leak is and fix it.

Didn't you replace the thermostat yet? That's the first thing to do.

Why do you keep saying you have to add coolant? There's a leak if you have to add coolant. It's best to remove the radiator cap and run the motor to make sure all of the air bubble purge. if the coolant blows out of the radiator neck the head gasket may be bad.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Ellis6 months agoReport

I have changed the thermostat. It does give air bubbles.

• Gabe

Sounds like you have yourself a skank car. Make sure it doesn't cheat on you.

• J J

If your vehicle has a viscus fan (not electric) your problem is the fan drive needs replacement. Test by (engine off) take your hand and give the fan a spin. It should not "free wheel" and not move more then two blades.

Is the fan working at idle? Air forced through the rad when the car is moving keeps it cool, but a fan should run when the car is sitting still. These days they turn and off. If the engine gets hot at idle it turns on, and when the engine cools off a little it goes off. It can cycle on and off to keep temps within range.