Tom asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

Is it nomal for a 7 year old to play with and talk to ashes of a passed away loved one.?

Well i know someone who has a 7 year old and as soon as they get home they grab there grandpa and grandmas ashes and talks to them and like plays games with them. To me it dont seem normal.

I wish they were just playing around the urn but not touching the ashes. My son gets a lot of comfort from his father's urn.

Normal. It shows your 7-year old misses that person a lot and still wants to pretend he or she is still alive.

It's normal that a 7 year-old may not understand all the metaphysical implications of the passing of a human life, and he may have trouble coping with the loss of a loved one. However, it seems unhygienic and irreverent that he is literally playing with the remains of a dead body. Perhaps the ashes should be buried and a proper goodbye could be given, as a way to show respect for the deceased.

Those ashes signify the loss of a thinking, feeling human being whose senses were once every bit as keen as yours and mine. They should not be treated like a toy

• Roddy

It is not so odd that the child plays with and talks to his grandparent's ashes as much as it is really odd that anyone keeps an urn of ashes at home rather than scattering or burying them.

its not normal to let them handle ashes

• Angie

To me, this seems a bit odd. Perhaps not that he occasionally speaks to his passed grandparents, but that he is carrying the urn around and "playing with them." This seems a little off. But to be completely honest, my family has never cremated. We have always used burial for all of our relatives, so I am not accustomed to the reasoning, traditions, or sentiments of cremation, so perhaps those who are more accustomed with this method of disposition look at it differently. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, it may just simply mean the way they make peace and come to terms with their loss is a bit different from coping methods used by others. But from my own completely personal point of view, this behavior does seem odd, and again, perhaps it is merely because the customs and traditions I was brought up in are much different, and therefore, I am just unable to relate.

If they were close to them then it is normal but the child will grow out of it.