How do doctors earn if they work for free in a government funded hospital?

I visit this doctor where our sessions are always free of charge. Though many people get to go to the likes of him (mostly those who are poor) and he gets to have a long line of patients like me, which seems like an advantage for him because he gets to have many patients anytime he wants to in a given schedule. But... show more I visit this doctor where our sessions are always free of charge. Though many people get to go to the likes of him (mostly those who are poor) and he gets to have a long line of patients like me, which seems like an advantage for him because he gets to have many patients anytime he wants to in a given schedule. But how can he be earning from all this despite the free checkups and consultations? Though we patients only pay for other things like laboratory blood tests and medicines he prescribes to us.