Is it possible to apply for a UK Tourist Visa from outside home country?

I am a Lebanese citizen on vacation in Turkey, I want to get a visa to visit a relative in the UK but would much prefer to apply from Turkey rather than return to Lebanon to apply.

I have visited the UK on several occasions, and have gotten 3 visas with different durations so far.

My main concern is that the application center will likely keep my passport for the duration of the visa process, which is to my knowledge around 2 weeks, so is this process at all possible?

• Foofa

Generally you have to be on some kind of longer term visa (student, work) to be able to apply for a visa to a third country.

Of course.

There was a gentleman from Australia who crossed the Earth in a 1915 Ford Model T. On many occasions, he had to change routes due to weather or political issues. In almost all instances, he needed to get a visa. Imagine this guy had to fly back to Australia 10 or 20 times for that . . . .

If you are legally present in Turkey, i.e., on vacation, you can apply for a visa at the British consulate in Istanbul.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
    • Times have changed. Back in the day you did not need a passport, just papers you got at the nearest consulate. Now people who travel a lot have two passports and a visa processor at home to deal with this issue.

Not safe in UK at the moment not enough police officers, youth ruiling the streets. Uff stay away