Elicia
Elicia asked in HealthMental Health · 7 months ago

Could my boyfriend have Aspergers?

Is it possible my bf has Aspergers, just super high functioning and hardly detectable? He is very driven and successful. Our personal relationship is quite peculiar. He is incredibly pragmatic and when I come to him with any issue I receive robotic answers and no resolutions. Sometimes when he talks about something I feel like I'm a crowd he's giving a speech to. He really does not seem to be very interested in who I am at times and simply takes me at face value without digging deeper. He does make eye contact a lot and he does have feelings and emotions but I've never seen a man express them the way he does. He seems to need structure to a degree. I wouldn't even think he likes me with how he acts with me, but he tells me he wants to marry and start a family. I feel like I am with a robot sometimes.

I'm not interested in having him diagnosed or even asking him about it, ever, but rather I'm trying to figure out if his behaviour is due to this or if he's just kind of being a jerk to me, in all honesty. I love him and can accept the things he can't change. I just don't want to end up marrying a man who truly isn't being the best partner he can be and I don't want to be his wife if all he wants is someone to have his babies.

I'm trying to figure out where his heart is, if I knew he had Aspergers I could accept these things much more easily because I would know it is how he is made/wired and out of his control

Aspergers is a MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS. I couldn't diagnosis him if he had cancer. I can't diagnose him if he has Aspergers.

I have Asperger's and in my view he wouldn't meet the diagnostic criteria. It doesn't matter if he does have an autistic spectrum disorder, if you two can't communicate effectively then marriage isn't the right next step and certainly not having children.

You should immediately stop having sex with him (It may be contagious) and get him tested.

Why do you have to diagnose the guy? Why not accept him at face value? If he's robotic, he is..... he obviously cares for you if he is talking about a family and marriage

Not everyone is alike and not all men are all romantic. In fact, most men aren't all that romantic.

Very possible, just understand someone with Aspergers mind works very differently. Just some extra love and compassion will go a long way. Best of luck