Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 4 months ago

Why don't women these days fix their hair up like in the olden days?

My grandma told me when she was a little girl in the 50s that women and girls almost always used to fix up and style their hair in some way. Nowadays almost all women just leave their hair hanging down or just tie it up in a bun on their head.

Back then women only washed their hair once a week

Every decade has it's own specific style. the 50's had different trends to the 60's and the 60's had different trends to the 70's, just like we have a different style to the naughties. I have studied hair, makeup and costume trends and have been in the industry for 20 years. We still style ourselves with the same level of effort, it's just that we style ourselves based on what the trends are and what new technologies are out now. We no longer have to sit in a salon under a huge huge hair dryer (like in the 50's) because we have curling and straightening irons that can do the same thing in our home for a fraction of the time. Both men and women do this and always have. I love seeing the differences in styles. :)

Because people gave too much of a f*** back then.

• patty

I wonder if the question asker has a spare hour a day to fix hair

Bc that takes time and energy that i dnt want to devote bc i have more important things to do.. plus constant styling isnt healthy for your hair.

Because these aren't the "olden" days it's 2019. Everyone has their preferences but that's my guess is most ppl keep up with what's current and not past.

Many do and it looks good

They are under the belief that they don't have to look and act like ladies anymore. Sad.

• kyli4 months agoReport

I do so love seeing the sexism of older generations. At least you’ve discovered how to use the internet

• patty

In the sixties women became more relaxed with their hair as it is today.

• Mark

Women style their hair ALL the time, so I'm not sure where you live to see women NOT doing this? (For that matter, men, too.)

But many women still do they do like there hair to look good.