Peugeot 206 driving problem?

So I just bought my first car and it is a Peugeot 206 1.1L, gas, year 2002. I took it to the mechanic and they said it was in good shape. I have a hard time learning how to drive it. On an open road I do just fine but when driving in town (i live in a small rural town with lots of hills and narrow streets) I struggle a lot. I mostly struggle at stop lights or when I stop and the road is not very even and my car starts rolling back, even at the slightest uneven points. I used to drive a fiat punto and a fiat panda at driving school, and I never had this problem, I would just simply hold the break paddle at the stop light and when it was time to move i would get my clutch to the biting point and just hit the gas and go, however when I do that on the peugeot it rolls back and I stall. I am not used to using the handbreak because on the other cars I never had to and it is becoming difficult for me to drive this car because of that and it always needs a LOT of gas to even get started to move it wont even move with just the clutch. Is this a normal thing for the Peugeot? Do i always have to use the handbreak on every stop (if its not flat or downhill) or is there some thing I can do to just start it with the clutch and gas without needing to always use the handbreak or is there a way I can mechanically fix the clutch or do something to fix this? Does anyone else have this problem with the same car or is it just something wrong with mine?

Favorite Answer

It's a French car, and it's old... and the Peugeot 206 tended to have one of the longer lists of potential faults in the used buying guides.

Clutch.... practice to tune yourself into it by doing bite-point checks somewhere out of the way: park up, practice gently moving the clutch up & down until you find the point it starts to move the car.

Hill starts... depends on how much traffic you're having to deal with, but I found it's best to use the handbrake in an unfamiliar car, then work on balancing it on the clutch once you've got more used to it.

You might also want to check any paperwork that came with the car such as receipts for repairs to see when/if it's had the clutch replaced (they can also be a pain in the butt to get used to again going from a knackered clutch to having a fresh one put in with a keener bite point again)..... there's often a cable that can be adjusted to tweak the clutch, but they usually adjust themselves, unless it's a hydraulic clutch like on my similarly aged Ford Fiesta (currently mothballed awaiting repairs due to chassis corrosion).

For further knowledge of the car, you might want to consider getting the Haynes Repair manual for it

(ISBN-10: 0857335596)

For better, more confident driving skills, you may want to consider:

Advanced Driving: How to further skill and enjoyment in motoring by John Lyon (ISBN-10: 085733221X)

+

Paul Ripley's Expert Driving (ISBN-10: 0716030098)

• Gedia

It is not the car, it is just you, anyone who can drive, I have never ever heard of this before, but you will learn how to drive, just keep going. It is not an automatic, or is it, I wonder if you even know ?

• Angela7 months agoReport

its not an automatic. its a manual 1.1 petrol engine lol any idiot can drive an automatic, I wouldnt have a problem if it was an automatic

First things first. Brakes, not breaks. Handbrake not handbreak. Brake pedal, not break paddle.

The 206 drives nicely and was a popular car with driving schools. Your problem is lack of familiarity with the balancing the clutch, accelerator (gas) pedal, and the handbrake. You should only need the handbrake for hill starts, for level starts you can get away without it once you are used to the car.

Every single manual car feels a bit different as each has an individual clutch biting point which depends upon how worn the clutch is, how the system has been adjusted, and how the system was designed.

Once you are an experienced driver you can get into any manual car and drive it without stalling and without over-revving the engine almost immediately.

But if you’re convinced it’s not quite right then get a second opinion from someone with a lot more experience or ask at a clutch-fitting centre. Mr Clutch is a national UK chain and I’ve found that they don’t recommend unnecessary work.

Keep on practicing. Perhaps you can get someone to ride with you and make constructive and helpful criticism.

You need to get used to it. Peugeots have never been known as great cars. I got pretty good at driving a clutch in hilly terrain when I lived on the Adirondack Mountains. I eventually got a Subaru with a "hill holder clutch" that made it a breeze to get started on an uphill. I recommend getting a Subaru or a car with an automatic transmission.