In Oregon, what is the legal way to dispose of someone’s belongings who has left them behind?

My land-lady had my daughter in law and myself sign a temporary occupancy form allowing my daughter-in-law to stay in my apartment for three months which also stated I had the right to revoke the rights for her to stay with me at any time. Things did not work out and she has left. I do not know how to contact her or any of her family. Does anyone know of a legal way for me to remove her belongings from my apartment? I do not want to destroy her property but at the same time I don’t want her belongings left in my apartment. (She did not pay rent. I have lived here over 20 years and my daughter in law was staying with me for only a few months.) Thanks for any advise.

• John

I hope you changed the locks.

• Plain Jane6 months agoReport

Thank you. To be fair, I have given her a specific time to come and take her stuff. If there should be a problem with her entering my home during this time, I will change my locks immediately.

• PAMELA

Is she or any of her family on social media? if so send them a message saying that they have 28 days from the time of the mesage to get their stuff, after 28 days dispose of it, you are not their storage unit.

• Plain Jane6 months agoReport

Thank you. I blocked her on all social media and I do not know her current address. I am trying to find another legal way to inform her of my intent like to post a public notice for a certain period of time.

Look up abandoned property laws for your state.

• Plain Jane6 months agoReport

Thank you. I am in the process of doing that.

Hmmm. Technically YOU were her "landlord" in allowing her to live there as a resident under a clause. Most laws concerning property is that the "landlord" is not allowed to profit off of the belongings of a resident, but on the other hand, if she paid no rent, and has left with no contact information, you can consider her belongings as "abandoned". I can enclose a safe link to an explanation of California Renter's and Landlord's Rights concerning this issue. It would be best if you were to store these belongings elsewhere for a time period, during which you actively attempt to make contact with this person. AFter 90 days, you may be able to cancel the storage contract and dispose of the parcels. But, please read the attached link (It IS safe, I promise) as it explains things better than I can:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/long-tenant-rights-b...

• Plain Jane6 months agoReport

Thank you, good information.

Pack them up and store them. There's no problem with that at all.

Send a letter demanding they be picked up or you will toss them. If you wait a reasonable time and make a few attempts to contact you'll be good in every state. More info: https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1257_Tenant...

• Plain Jane6 months agoReport

Thank you. I don't have her current address since she has left my residence. She still gets her mail at my address. I will look up the information with the link you have provided.

• In

If she is your daughter-in-law then you must have contact information for your ex. Contact him/her and tell them if the stuff is not removed in 10 days you are giving it away to charity. At the end of 10 days call your local Goodwill, Miracle Hill, Habitat for Humanity, or other charitable organization to schedule a pick-up. You have no legal obligation to store abandoned materials at your expense and she has no right of tenancy.

• Plain Jane6 months agoReport

Thank you. My ex does not know my daughter in law; he has had almost nothing to do with his own sons since they were born over 30 years ago. I do not even know where my ex is but thank you for your answer. I will give her things away to a charitable organization when I know it is safe to do so,

Why do you think I’m ugly

• Plain Jane6 months agoReport

It's what's inside a person that really counts, not what can be seen from the outside.