promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why does my 15 y/o friend not remember anything before she was 11?

I asked her about her sats results in year 6 and I explained what they were but she couldn’t remember doing them even though everyone did them cos the whole country does. Then she said she doesn’t remember ANYTHING before year 7(11-12 y/o) except people.

Is this normal? I’ve never known someone to have such a bad memory. My 86 y/o grandma remembers more than that.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

I don't remember a lot of my childhood because i apparently blocked it out (for good reason). And i don't sit around trying to remember it... i've moved forward with my life, as i should

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

No, this friend of yours is not normal in not remembering anything before the age of 11. I wonder if she has been traumatized in some way, or received an injury.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

No, this is not normal. I'm like this too and thought it was until I started therapy. Due to child abuse, I blocked a lot of things out. Most of my childhood memories are based off what I've seen in photographs, not the actual memories.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Sure. We are animals. We dependent on chemical reactions in order for our brains to retain memories. There are plenty of circumstances and reasons why certain memories might be disrupted. Even things like TRAUMA and physical injury can cause memory loss. She should like into whether or not it is still occurring.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.